Top 5 Best RV Battery Reviews (Updated May 2021)
Everything inside an RV is reliant on a system function that works on 12 volts. Without the RV, appliances in the rig are not going to work. The batteries in the RV house are deep cycle ones which are made for storing power so they can still function even after a long time.
In order for the battery to last a long time, you need to have a basic knowledge of what it is and how it functions. The batteries for RVs are lead acid ones, which means they contain a number of cells linked in series. Every cell gives about 1.2 volts, which means a 12-volt battery that has 6 cells in a series has 12.6 volts. This kind of battery are made from plates, lead oxide and lead before being submersed in electrolytes composed of 36% sulfuric acid and 64% water. This kind of battery stores electricity instead of producing them. The total charge of the battery is determined by the lead plates plus how much electrolytes are in there.
Last update on 2022-05-16 at 07:36 PST - Details
You need to know the right RV battery products before buying so you will not end up wasting money.
Things to Look for When Selecting RV Battery
- Never let the battery run when it has less than 50% of charge. If this happens, recharge them right away and it they go lower than 20%, they will be damaged. This can cause them to never work again. You can make a battery last for 7 years if you religiously follow this rule
- A battery with 12 volts is normally the main battery, which is for supplying electricity to RVs and other appliances, like the lightning, pump, and fridge. The main battery can be created by using one 12-volt battery or taking 2 6-volt batteries and wiring them together. Both of these contain 2.1-volt cells, the 6-volt batteries have three cells in each battery and the 12-volts have 6 cells.
You must know that batteries with 6-volts have a larger size, but they are much lighter compared to a battery with 12 volts. There is a habit of RVers to opt using 2 6-volts to have only one power source, because this is known to be more long lasting, and it doubles the voltage.
Although, it does not add to the amp-hours. The reason behind the longer life span are the thicker plates and there is added space for every cell, which has a better discharge compared to a 12-volt battery deep cycle. If you are thinking of wiring one series of 12-volt batteries, it would be necessary to add voltage and hours of amps.
- Check the technology that was used to make the battery because it should be lead-acid. Otherwise, it cannot be used for RVs. The basic battery is referred to “flooded cell” because the lead has been bathed using liquid water or a solution with acid. The good thing is that the newest models are maintenance free to lessen electrolyte loss by closing the cells, except for a small vent hole. Although, this does not work if you heavy charge the battery too often.
Aside from that, a get type that uses thick paste electrolyte with a good sealant is becoming a top choice. One popular choice for a main RV battery is the 6-volt size
- Since RV batteries are a big investment, you must know how to store them properly to prolong their life. You should store them when the condition is right and keep in mind to never store them when they are discharged. This will cause the battery plates to crystallize making them hard. When this happens, they will no longer be able to supply power. To get your battery ready for the next trip, the battery has to be charged every 3 months
- To properly maintain the RV battery, it is better to prevent anything from happening. You should not wait until the battery already has corrosive deposits before cleaning it. When the battery is in this state, there is too much damage already so clean regularly.
When you are cleaning the battery, wear old clothes and wear skin and eyes protection – protective goggles and gloves. One drop of acid from the battery can lead to serious damage. Take a toothbrush or wire brush, baking soda and water to balance the corrosion, then the terminal connections have to be cleaned, together with the clamps that link them together. When you are done with this, rub on grease or petroleum jelly so that terminals and cables are cleaned, which will slow down corrosion formation
Top 5 Best RV Battery Reviews
Optima Batteries 8016-103 D24M Review
Last update on 2022-05-16 at 07:36 PST - Details
It has 12-volts, 750 Cranking Amps, and the size is 10 inches x 6 7/8 inches x 7 13/16 inches tall. The weight is 43.5 pounds, it is Dual SAE and 5/16 inches with Stud Posts that are stainless. The battery has a total of 55 Ah C20 capacity. The battery gives great starting power even if the weather is bad.
It can be mounted in any position. This one has 15 times more resistance against vibration making it more durable. The warranty of the product is on the guarantee that the product does not have any defects for 24 months. If replace is necessary, the customer will not be charged.
- The weight is lighter than a battery at Walmart and it can run for 11 hours even if used hard and you still have ½ of the battery left
- They are tough enough to withstand pounding and they do not have gel inside
- It is a battery that can be installed easily and the person does not have to worry about it if they are a beginner
- If you own a camper with small compartments for the battery, this is perfect for you
- I find the price a bit high, but other than that, I love this battery
I like its small size and can be used anywhere so if you want a battery that will fit into your small compartment, get this one.
Vmaxtanks Vmaxslr125 AGM Deep Cycle Battery Review
Last update on 2022-05-16 at 07:36 PST - Details
The battery has a design meant for 99% recombination capabilities and it does not have dangerous fumes or other forms of gas. The size is 6.8 x 12.9 x 8.7 inches and the weight is 75 pounds. The warranty information is provided in a PDF form from the site.
- Batteries are already fully charge when you get them and their terminal bolts are torqued so wirings are easy so you are sure that it can conduct well
- They charge quickly and their discharge is slow which makes them best for renewable energy
- The battery looks sturdy and clean
- I would recommend this battery for solar panel use because it is the best
- I do not mind paying for the price because the quality is excellent and it works well
- If you need to return it, you would have to go through the seller first
It is one of the good ones I have and I really love the fact that it charges fast and the charge can last a while. I recommend this product to anyone who wants something like renewable energy
Universal UB1200 12V 100AH Deep Cycle AGM Review
Last update on 2022-05-16 at 08:16 PST - Details
It is UPG #45978 UB121000 with 12V 100Ah and the dimensions are 12.17 inches x 6.61 inches x 9.16 inches. The item weight is 63.93 pounds with a SLM/AGM maintenance fee and the battery is spill proof which can be mounted using any position. The battery is resistant to shock and vibration and comes with a warranty of 1 year.
- I love it that the battery was fully charged when it came and the packaging is very good because the boxes are thick and sturdy
- The amp hours are true based on what is advertised and I would buy this again
- These batteries also work fine with a solar charging system and you can hook two of them together in a parallel position
- Even if it is a bit pricey, I think that the price is appropriate for the quality of the batter
- It has an excellent packaging from the seller
- A bit pricey
I think that these batteries will last a long time and it will give me what is needed for the RV so it runs well
Lifeline Marine AGM Battery
Last update on 2022-05-16 at 08:25 PST - Details
It has 6 volts with an amp of 20 hours and the rate is 220. It is awesome for marine, RV, and solar uses. This is made in the USA and weighs 66 pounds with a dimension of 10.3 x 7.1 x 9.9 inches. Has 1000 cycles and the discharge depth is 50% making it ideal for industrial applications.
- You can use two of these wired together with a 300 watt solar system and they work great
- This is zero maintenance and the 220 amps means the power will never run out
- These batteries are awesome for boondocking
- Even if they are pricey, I do not regret buying them at all and will definitely purchase them again in the future when they need to be replaced
- More expensive than others but it is all worth it
The quality of this battery is exceptional and if you want something that is reliable and you won’t have to maintain, this is it.
Odyssey PC80 Battery Review
Last update on 2022-05-16 at 08:26 PST - Details
The battery is 170 CCA and has a full replacement warranty of 2 years and 3 to 10-year life service. These batteries save time, money, and difficulty. The longer life cycle is 70% more compared to the usual deep cycle batteries and it is up to 400 cycles at about 80% discharge depth.
The high stable voltage goes on for quite some time. It has a fast recharge feature and non-spillable design. It is vibration resistant and protects against extreme impact. This can tolerate extreme temperatures. It can recharge to 100% between 4 to 6 hours, which is the highest recharge in sealed lead battery available. The weight is 15.4 pounds and the dimensions are 7.3 x 3.1 x 6.7 inches, 12 volts, 16A.
- This can last for more than 10 years so you can expect that it will be replaced with the same one
- I did not have a problem using it even under cold weather and with heavy electric loads
- I never experienced any acid spills and for its size, the power is awesome
- I never encountered any difficulty installing this one because it is so easy
- When this battery is used with an alternator and power wiring, it is flawless
- I also love its weight because it is a lot lighter than the ones I owned before
- You should make sure that it will fit in your RV because the size is not universal, but still a good one
If you want an RV battery that is light weight, long lasting, and easy to install, purchase this one because it is very convenient
How To Replace Deep Cycle RV "House" Batteries
You will not regret choosing any of the products listed here because they all work great and will last for a long time even if you use it often. They also have great customer service so that will not be an issue.